Aug 28, 2013

ALERT: Why You Didn't Read My Last Post About The Handicapped: You're Scared to Tempt Fate

This post is a short one and I'm going to be shouting at you. I wrote my most recent post, "The Handicapped in America: The ADA Has Your Back" (http://stroketales.blogspot.com/2013_08_12_archive.html) in my blog "The Tales of a Stroke Patient," about the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). I also have a dashboard, as the administrator of the site, that tells me how many hits I got. I haven't had such low numbers ever. (I put "ALERT" in the title to get your attention. Did I succeed? Maybe).

Of course, there's a reason for almost everything unless you're spiritual, and then I have to correct myself and say, there's a reason for everything. And there's a reason for why many of you didn't read the  post.You're afraid to read anything handicapped-related because you don't want to tempt fate. 

A lot of people believe in fate. There's a good chance you're one of them. Fate is defined in Webster's as "the will or principle or determining cause by which things in general are believed to come to be as they are or events to happen as they do." To tempt fate is to push the odds in fate's favor, to make fate go the wrong way--or the right way--depending on what's at stake. Handicapped anything is bad news.

"The Antidote," which I read twice, is a book whose mission is to poke holes in positive thinking. Anybody who's handicapped and thinks that's a good thing lives in a delusional world if they truly believe it or have the ability to move forward. I don't have either. I worked for an international law firm and the job was taken away from me because I had a stroke. HOW IS THAT A GOOD THING?

Anyway, please read my post "The Handicapped in America: The ADA Has Your Back." I said in my book, with low cholesterol, low blood pressure, no diabetes or obesity, following a healthy diet, if I could have a stroke, ANYBODY could have a stroke. Did I upset you? Good. Maybe now you'll pay attention to handicapped anything, like strokes, the largest long-term disability group. Get tested for your clotting levels. You don't want to have a stroke. Or another one!

Right now, I'm wearing high socks in the heat of summer to protect my skin from the perpetual brace, I'll eat no chocolate after Coumadin, a blood thinner, because that could affect my clotting levels, I'll drink no alcohol when everybody else is imbibing, yada, yada, yada.  

Maybe now....

No comments: