Apr 21, 2015

The AFO and Toes, aka There's Nothing Cute about Curly Piggies

 
I was in the 7th grade of Junior High School (they call it Middle School now), when I first learned from Lydie Miller during a pajama party that I had funny-looking feet--teeny, tiny toes like my rather portly father and sharp bunions like my mother.

Tweens are more sophisticated today, with conversations about getting higher on E, listening to the "good kind" of rap, or deleting unwanted photos on Instagram. But 54 years ago, it was feet. It wasn't the first time that I said, "I have rotten genes."

Anyway, Lydie was right. After that bit about my feet, I never exposed my toes to strangers again. I always wore shoes, never sandals, to the pool, and covered my feet with a towel. On the beach, I dug my toes into the hot sand. I had my bunions straightened, but there was nothing I could do for the exceptionally short toes. That realization changed my being. I always stare at feet to evaluate them: better or uglier than mine. It's a slam dunk. "Better" always wins.

After the stroke, the only news that made me happy was I could only wear sneakers. My toes' secrets were safe forever.

I was fitted for an AFO (ankle/foot orthotic) somewhere around the middle of my 15-week stay in rehab. But somewhere after the 5th year post-stroke, I learned of a new problem with the AFO. My 2nd toe began to curl, so much so that it inhibited my walking at times.

It's not a new problem. Just new to me, and probably you, too.  

Dr. Stanley Beekman, a Cleveland-based DPM, did a flexor tenotomy (cutting the tendon of a metatarsal) on many patients wearing an AFO post-stroke, or anybody who suffered a brain injury of a different sort. 

He said in 2005 (the brackets are my interpretation], "Patients post-CVA do not have a normal [forward-walking] gait, and therefore do not need the digital flexors to [lift off] the ground at push off to off-load the metatarsals because there is no push off. This is why this procedure will work in this situation." This procedure, the flexor tenotomy, will work on hammertoes and other lower-digit problems, too.

In 2008, the Podiatry Institute said, "The simplified technique [flexor tenotomy] utilizes an 18-gauge needle to perform the surgery but does not require suturing and the patient may get the foot wet the next day. 

"This technique is performed in the office under a local digital block. After the digital block is performed and the toe prepped, the same needle used to draw up the local anesthetic to administer the digital block can be used for the surgery. An adhesive bandage is often the only dressing required postoperatively."

If you want to see a video of the procedure that takes about 30 minutes for 1 or 2 toes, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHx8-GyHhcQ 

So I did it--flexor tenotomy--and I didn't see a thing, aka blood and gore. My foot was elevated to shoulder height and the 2nd toe had the tendon cut.



Just like the Podiatry Institute said, I was up and about in one hour. The pain: minimal. The result: it's too early to tell, but my toe is straighter than it was. And for me, I'm walking faster, and that's good enough for now.

No comments: