May 12, 2019

Sometimes, It's All About Your Shitty Genes

First some needed history. According to the esteemed doctors who sometimes don't know crap, I was told by one of them that I had to take Avelox for an ear infection. Avelox, I later found out, could give a person blood clots (the person in this case is me). I went to the Emergency Room for excruciating pain. 

Quoting from my previous blog (How Two Legal Drugs Caused My Hemorrhagic Stroke, and here's the link --https://stroketales.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-two-legal-drugs-caused-my-stroke.html), "The ER doctor admitted me and I was put on Lovenox, a low-molecular form of Heparin, to break up the clots. (Now here's where the story gets interesting). As a result of being on Heparin, I developed Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT), a serious side effect that may occur when one is being treated with heparin. HIT can lead to low blood platelet counts, which I had." 

HIT can also cause a brain bleed, ergo my hemorrhagic stroke. And that explanation, to my brain with parts that died, never to return, made sense enough.

But there's more to the story. Once I moved to Portland, I found out through a blood test that I had Protein S Deficiency, which causes abnormal clotting.

The National Institutes of Health say, "Protein S Deficiency (PSD) is usually hereditary, but may be acquired from lack of Vitamin K, for example. [My mother cooked everything more than it should have been, including  green vegetables, a primary source of Vitamin K, until they lost some of the vitamins inherently theirs].  The hereditary form of Protein S Deficiency is caused by a mutation in a gene called PROS1.  This condition is inherited in a dominant manner, which means that an individual who inherits only one mutated copy of PROS1 has an increased chance of developing symptoms of this disease."

So whether hereditary or acquired, I had PSD.

"There are tests for Protein S Deficiency, just ask your hematologist for screening," says James of the group dedicated to Protein S Deficiency.  [https://www.proteinsdeficiency.com/"Apart from clotting related issues, I am not aware of any other issues caused by Protein S Deficiency."

I did a random poll among family and friends, knowing what happened to me, about whether they should get tested for abnormal blood clotting with Protein S Deficiency. Here are some of their stupid, meaningless responses:

"Hell, no. Why would I do testing if it's going to happen anyway?"

"If it's meant to be, it's meant to be."

"I hate going to the doctor."

The NIH also say, "The greatest life-theatening risk to patients with protein S deficiency is a pulmonary embolism (PE), a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) that travels through the bloodstream and gets stuck in the lungs. People with hereditary protein S deficiency have about a 2- to 11 times increased risk for developing a DVT or PE in comparison with those without a deficiency."

I had a PE, too, in 2015.

Whether the reason I got the stroke is from HIT, PSD, or both, there are tests to know the risks for both HIT and PSD. Wouldn't you want to know? 



Or are you like the ostrich who buries his head in the sand? (Not true, by the way. It's a metaphor. But it serves the purpose here). Why worry for a week or two if you have HIT and PSD before you get symptoms, if you could know the next day through tests? The tests would involve a blood draw, but man or woman up! 

3 comments:

Rebecca Dutton said...

This post explains why telling people 90% of strokes can be prevented by controlling cholesterol and weight gain is misleading.

Joyce Hoffman said...

I agree. SO many factors are possible!

Solution To Health Problems said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.