For those of you who know what meh is and if you think this is a negative post, it is. But please read on anyway.
After four years of Trump and the pandemic coming near the end of his single-term administration when you just wanted to scream "enough despicable Trump and his know-nothing offshoots already," and working at home with the kids running hither and yon inside your house because the virus is lurking in corners we don't even know about yet, and massive unemployment that isn't going to get better anytime soon, it is my belief that a portion of Americans aren't going to cheer in the new year like in years past.
Meh is defined as lacking interest or enthusiasm. And that defines me. So I have 5 New Year's resolutions, in no particular order, rather than my customary 10, because meh-ness has overtaken me.
1. I'll finish my third book--fiction, this time. I said that last year and started to "finish" countless times, but I started over in 2020-- countless times. Now, I know the path.
2. I won't let my frustrations irritate me like I did in the past. Getting my sock on with the heel on top, or having someone finish my sentence for me, or responding to a customer service rep three times with my birth date--it's all gone where I used to purposely kick anything that was near me.
3. I'll keep doing my exercises, albeit every time I fell in the past, my recovery would take at least two weeks, setting me behind the goal I set for myself. But now I'm in a transport chair so I don't fall anymore. Yet.
4. I'll watch Poldark--I've already seen it 12 times in a row--until I can know the lines just before they're said. (Shut up! That's my relaxation to get me thinking about #1 on this list).
5. I'm getting used to the new normal because it's going to be around for I-don't-know-how-many years. I remember my mask upon leaving and stay at least 6 feet apart in the line at Trader Joe's which is my only destination. I get excited when multiple avocados come in a tiny bag of their own. And I am obsessed with the depiction of the coronavirus. Something so evil shouldn't be so attractive. What a life I now have.
I feel about the new year like I feel about most things now. Meh. But I'll force myself to wish you, my faithful readers, a happy new year.